RE: [Xen-devel] XenOProfile may have the conflict with SATA AHCI mode.

To: "Liang Yang" <multisyncfe991@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] XenOProfile may have the conflict with SATA AHCI mode.
From: "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:17:50 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:17:01 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I notice this issue recently when I'm using XenOProfile with the
latest
> Xen-unstable repository. I have several SATA disks to hose several
guest
> domains. For the performance purpose, I want to use the on-board AHCI
> mode
> so each SATA disk has its own data transfer channel. However, I found
> XenOProfile has some conflict with AHCI mode as Xen will boot into
> kernel
> panic with weird mount errors after XenOProfile is enabled. The
problem
> is
> gone when I set SATA mode to compatible  in BIOS (i.g. IDE emulation
> mode).

XenOProfile is the only thing that uses NMIs, but I've no idea why that
would interfere with the SATA controller.

If you were seing the issue round the other way I'd suspect something
dodgy with the BIOS'es SMM mode. Might still be worth checking for a
BIOS upgrade.

Ian