Re: [Xen-devel] [VTD][patch 0/6] HVM device assignment using vt-d

To: "Kay, Allen M" <allen.m.kay@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [VTD][patch 0/6] HVM device assignment using vt-d
From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <muli@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 22:52:39 +0300
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:51:26 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 11:21:29AM -0700, Kay, Allen M wrote:
> Keir,
>
> Following 6 patches are for enabling PCI device assignment to a HVM
> domain using vt-d.  We have done no-harm-done testing for PV and
> non-vtd HVM guests on 32PAE, x86_64 and IPF.  See below for details
> of the patch.

Cool! I have a couple of questions:

1. When is VT-d hardware expected to be available?
2. We need a way for this to work with multiple IOMMUs - VT-d, AMD's
   upcoming IOMMU and IBM's Calgary/CalIOC2 family of IOMMUs are the
   ones that are either available or will be soon. From a quick look
   at the code your patch is VT-d specific? What I've done so far in
   the xen-iommu tree is to add a new platform op by which dom0 tells
   Xen about the presence of a new IOMMU and then add a common layer
   in Xen for different IOMMUs to hook into using an iommu_ops
   structure. Will this work for you, or do you have something else in
   mind?

More to come as I digest your patches. It's great to finally see VT-d
support out-there!

Cheers,
Muli