Re: [Xen-devel] numa=on broken

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] numa=on broken
From: Ryan Harper <ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:08:53 -0500
Cc: Ryan Harper <ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:10:27 +0100
* Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2007-03-30 13:06]:
> On 30/3/07 18:34, "Ryan Harper" <ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Looking a little deeper, it looks like in end_boot_allocator() we are
> > attempting to dynamically allocate memory for addition arrays in avail[]
> > and for the heap.  This uses xmalloc() which relies on
> > alloc_xenheap_pages() to work.  alloc_xenheap_pages() can't function
> > until end_boot_allocator() completes.  Prior to end_boot_alloctor(), one
> > needs to use alloc_boot_pages().
> >
> > Any thoughts on how to proceed here?
>
> Since the buddy allocators are initialised with memory from address zero
> upwards, I would expect everything to work fine if numa node zero always
> owns the first block of physical memory. This is because we statically
> allocate space for heap metadata for numa node zero (since even non-numa
> machines have a 'numa node zero'), so by the time you need to allocate
> memory for other numa nodes you're xenheap will be populated with memory.
>
> So -- can we ensure that the node that owns low memory is node zero?

AFAIK, that is the case, look at the SRAT table:

(XEN) SRAT: Node 0 PXM 0 0-a0000
(XEN) SRAT: Node 0 PXM 0 0-e0000000
(XEN) SRAT: Node 1 PXM 1 100000000-200000000

--
Ryan Harper
IBM Corp., Austin, Tx