Re: [Xen-devel] PCI DMA Limitations

>>> "Stephen Donnelly" <sfdonnelly@xxxxxxxxx> 26.03.07 05:35 >>>
>I've been reading the XenLinux code from 3.0.4 and would appreciate
>clarification of the limitations on PCI DMA under Xen. I'm considering how
>to deal with a peripheral that requires large DMA buffers.
>
>All 'normal Linux' PCI DMA from Driver Domains (e.g. dom0) occurs via the
>SWIOTLB code via a restricted window. e.g. when booting:
>
>Software IO TLB enabled:
> Aperture:     64 megabytes
> Kernel range: 0xffff880006ea2000 - 0xffff88000aea2000
> Address size: 30 bits
>PCI-DMA: Using software bounce buffering for IO (SWIOTLB)
>
>The size of the aperture is configurable when the XenLinux kernel boots. The
>maximum streaming DMA allocation (via dma_map_single) is is limited by
>IO_TLB_SIZE to 128 slabs  * 4k = 512kB. Synchronisation is explicit via
>dma_sync_single and involves the CPU copying pages via these 'bounce
>buffers'. Is this correct?

Yes.

>If the kernel is modified by increasing IO_TLB_SIZE, will this allow larger
>mappings, or is there a matching limitation in the hypervisor?

Not a siginficant one in the hypervisor: 4Gb chunks/2**20 pages (and of
course being bound to available memory in the requested range). But the
setup here is also going through xen_create_contiguous_region(), so the
2Mb limitation there would also apply.

>Coherent mappings via dma_alloc_coherent exchange VM pages for contiguous
>low hypervisor pages. The allocation size is limited by MAX_CONTIG_ORDER = 9
>in xen_create_contiguous_region to 2^9 * 4k = 2MB?

Yes, though for very special cases (AGP aperture) extending this limit is
being considered, though not likely by just bumping MAX_CONTIG_ORDER
(due to the effect this would have on static variables' sizes).

>Is it possible to increase MAX_CONTIG_ORDER in a guest OS unilaterally, or
>is there a matching limitation in the hypervisor? I didn't see any options
>to Xen to configure the amount of memory reserved for coherent DMA mappings.

Again, Xen doesn't limit the order significantly, and statically bumping
MAX_CONTIG_ORDER doesn't seem like too good an idea.
Xen can reserve memory for DMA purposes via the dma_emergency_pool
command line option.

>Is there a simpler/more direct way to provide DMA access to large buffers in
>guest VMs? I was curious about how RDMA cards (e.g. Infiniband) are
>supported, are they required to use DAC and scatter-gather in some way?

Yes, s/g is certainly very much preferable here, due to the possibly huge
amounts of data otherwise needing copying. Also, RDMA is (hopefully) not
restricted to 32-bit machine addresses, as that would be another reason
to force it though the swiotlb.

Jan