[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 05/26] Xen-paravirt_ops: paravirt_ops: hooks to s

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 05/26] Xen-paravirt_ops: paravirt_ops: hooks to set up initial pagetable
From: Steven Rostedt <srostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:35:44 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, William Lee Irwin III <wli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 03:47:20 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 11:39 -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >> +  /* Make sure kernel address space is empty so that a pagetable
> >> +     will be allocated for it. */
> >>

> > comment style.
> >

> As you've noticed its a comment style I use quite often.  I use it for
> what's essentially a little local comment, rather than a block comment
> which really needs to draw attention to itself.  In this case, I think using

Understood, but then you need to make that comment a single line :)

The way Linux code prefers comments (like the code itself actually
prefers it!) is single line comments stay on a single line, and
multiline comments are always block.

So it's either:

   /* my little comment here */

or

   /*
    * This comment, although small and to the point, does span multiple
    * lines and regardless, needs to be a block comment.
    */

I guess it just makes it easier on the eyes when everything conforms and
others need to look at / maintain your code.

-- Steve