Re: [XenPPC] Re: New domain builder in xen-unstable

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [XenPPC] Re: New domain builder in xen-unstable
From: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 14:56:53 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:57:17 -0800
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 17:08 +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> xc_linux_build() is still provided in the 'new world' and is still
> used by xend. For ia64/x86 it is now a thin wrapper around Gerd's new
> domain-building infrastructure. For ppc you can continue to have your
> very own version under libxc/powerpc if you want to, and not use
> Gerd's new domain-building infrastructure. But the elf code that you
> rely on is going away, so you need to move to using libelf, which I'm
> sure Gerd can give you some pointers about.

Hi Keir, it turns out I was confused about libxc, and we were depending
on the just-removed ELF loader. I'm fixing that now; please give me a
heads-up on the 3.0.5 release so I'm not caught out.

Aside from that, it seems that xc_linux_build() is actually not called
by anybody any longer. It looks like changeset a20ec270998b (from
Brendan) removed the call from xc.c, replacing it with a call to the
"new style" domain builder via xc_dom_linux_build().

The new domain builder infrastructure is not flexible enough for
PowerPC, so we're sticking with our own xc_linux_build(). It sounded
before like that would be possible, so I assume a20ec270998b was just an
oversight?

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center