[Xen-devel] page fault handling in Xen

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] page fault handling in Xen
From: jeet <jeet_sat12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:39:49 +0530 (IST)
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 01:09:31 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

I am trying to understand Shadow page fault handling in Xen for x86_64 in Intel
VT-x

As per my understanding when guest can update it own page table without causing
VM exit in xen

when some process requires some memory (pages) this will cause page fault and
control goes to guest OS
the guest then allocate page from its own psuedo address space and make entries
in guest page table which contain
mapping of virtual to psuedo physical memory and

But when actual write occurs to that page, page fault occurs which will cause
vm exit in xen.

Xen then will update the page mfn in shadow page table and return control back
to guest by vn entry.

Is this understanding it correct? so there would be only one vn exit/entry?

please do reply back

Thanks in advance

Jeet