[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 06/26] Xen-paravirt_ops: paravirt_ops: allocate a

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch 06/26] Xen-paravirt_ops: paravirt_ops: allocate a fixmap slot
From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:30:55 +0100
Cc: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 00:37:28 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Yes.  vmalloc would have the annoying side-effect of actually
> > allocating some pages which would be shadowed by the remapping, but
> > I guess get_vm_area would do the job.  I'll give it a go.
>
> Hm, this is a bit awkward.  We need to map the shared info page fairly
> early - say, around paging_init - but we're still on the bootmem
> allocator at that point, so get_vm_area isn't usable yet.  Using a
> fixmap keeps things simple.  It seems to me that having a single
> fixmap available is useful for this kind of simple/early mapping, and
> if someone needs to map something larger, then they can put it off
> until get_vm_area() is available...

fair enough. Please rename it to FIX_PARAVIRT_BOOTUP - you can still
rely on it being available later on too, but we'd like to give everyone
the right fundamental idea about this: it's meant to be a limited,
inflexible interface for bootstrap only.

        Ingo