Re: [xen-devel] infiniband/quadrics interconnect sharing

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [xen-devel] infiniband/quadrics interconnect sharing
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:04:13 +0000
Cc: David Brown <dmlb2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:03:24 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I was wondering if there's any way to share a quadrics/infiniband
> interconnect between dom0 and domUs. I know you can go to the IP layer
> and run IP over both infiniband and quadrics then run the standard
> default network-bridge because its at the IP layer at that point and
> you can do whatever you want. But does anyone know if there's been any
> effort to run at a lower level so that infiniband/quadrics can run
> without the IP layer overhead?

There's an ongoing effort to make this happen.

The Smart IO tree (http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/xen-smartio.hg) was the
place where this development was occurring last I heard.   I'm not sure what
state the code in it is in at the moment.

The goal of the work is to leverage the user-accessible characteristics of
Infiniband to enable domUs to do data-path operations by direct IO to the
adaptor, whilst ensuring safety by placing dom0 in charge of privileged
operations.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.