RE: [Xen-devel] Live migration fails under heavy network use

To: "John Levon" <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Live migration fails under heavy network use
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 01:00:34 -0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:00:26 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 10:34:30PM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
>
> > > Not quite sure why the new domain is trying to map 00000000
though.

> > The messages from the save side are expected. Is the message from
the
> > restored domain triggered by the restore code i.e. before the domain
is
> > un-paused?
>
> I suspect so but haven't proved that.

That would be a good test.

> > I expect if you change the 'pfn=0' in canonicalize_pagetable:539 to
> > 'deadb000' you'll see that propagated through to the restore
message. In
> > which case, its ugly, but benign.
>
> Wouldn't that pfn of 0 be an MFN other than 0 though?

Fair point. Thinking about it, that should be patched up by the next
iteration anyhow.

> I do not see any change
> when setting pfn as above.  Any further ideas? I can try adding some
back
> traces. I suppose you're not seeing it with a Linux dom0?

I don't think so, but I couldn't swear to it. It did used to come out
during Linux domain boot at one point, can't remember whether it still
does.

I presume the domain itself seems to suffer no ill effects?

> > > I also see a fair amount of:
> > >
> > > Dom48 freeing in-use page 2991 (pseudophys 100a4): count=2
> > type=e8000000
> >
> > That's fine. Debug builds are a bit chatty for live migration...
>
> Both of these:
>
> (XEN) mm.c:590:d0 Error getting mfn a005e (pfn 4c35) from L1 entry
> 00000000a005e705 for dom2
> (XEN) mm.c:566:d0 Non-privileged (3) attempt to map I/O space 00000000
>
> are also present in a non-debug build. Would you take a patch to make
both
> of
> them be XENLOG_INFO? It's not good that we get console noise for
normal
> operation
> (presuming the I/O space one /is/ normal operation!).

I think we need to understand this one first.

Thanks,
Ian