[Xen-devel] Darwin Advice?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Darwin Advice?
From: xenyu <meacham@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:38:27 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:50:57 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I know this comes up periodically, but I don't think it has been discussed
since the introduction of Xen 3.0.  I am part of a group of three graduate
students who are planning to port the Darwin OS to run on Xen as a project
for an operating systems class.  Officially, this is just to get Darwin up
and running, but getting OS X running under Xen would be a fun bonus.

First, we are wondering if porting Darwin is even necessary or "interesting"
anymore, now that Intel has hardware virtualization support. Second, we are
looking for technical advice and/or resources from anyone who has experience
porting kernels to Xen, or who knows about Darwin/Mach/BSD issues. Finally,
if we don't end up going the Darwin route, we are open to suggestions for
other Xen-related projects that are interesting and technically challenging.

Thanks in advance for you help!