Re: [Xen-devel] Communication between guest OS and VMM

To: Kaushik Barde <Kaushik_Barde@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, aditya shevalkar <aditya27783@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Communication between guest OS and VMM
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:56:37 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:56:13 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 15/2/07 20:55, "Kaushik Barde" <Kaushik_Barde@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mats, good explanation but what you explained is AMD specific, please
> post Intel specific VMCS handling as well to complete the discussion.

At that level of description Intel VT is almost identical to AMD SVM. The
VMCB is called VMCS and the instructions have different names (and slightly
different usage conventions) but there aren't any significant differences
really. Most of the AMD/Intel-specific code for HVM is decoding exits from
the guest back to Xen to work out what happened (the reason codes are all
highly vendor-specific).

 -- Keir