Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch] pvfb: Split mouse and keyboard into separate

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch] pvfb: Split mouse and keyboard into separate devices.
From: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:10:45 +0100
Cc: Xen devel list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Markus Armbruster <armbru@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 01:10:20 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>   - One input device supplies both mouse & keyboard events - this is
>     basically same as current PVFB setup (appears /dev/input/event0)
>   - A second device supplies only mouse events (/dev/input/event1)

Bad idea IMHO ...

> from event1 no longer get reported via the unified mouse channel. Of
> course we still have the relative coords coming in on event0 though
> and thus into X via the 'mouse' driver which mess things up.

... exactly thats why.

As long as /dev/input/event* isn't used there is absolutely no
difference in having a single or two separate devices for keyboard and
mouse events.  In both cases all events go through the kernel's keyboard
driver and /dev/input/mice.  The mouse "just works" with the default
X-Server configuration, using relative coordinates though.

Having two separate devices allows to handle mouse events only via
/dev/input/event to (optionally) have a better configuration with
absolute coordinates, without messing up the keyboard.

You can even create a configuration file which works fine in both cases:
xen virtual mouse being present and being not present.

Why do you want to keep the device with both keyboard and mouse events?
 It makes things much more complicated IMHO.

cheers,
  Gerd

--
Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>