Re: [Xen-devel] Direct Ethernet Connection Bug (3.0.4-1)

To: Timo Benk <timo.benk@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Direct Ethernet Connection Bug (3.0.4-1)
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:47:59 +0000
Cc: Xen devel list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 07:47:41 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 2/2/07 15:28, "Timo Benk" <timo.benk@xxxxxx> wrote:

>> So, this crash indicates that you have not given any I/O-memory access
>> privilege to the backend domain. Have you actually given it access to the
>> Ethernet PCI device and its I/O memory and I/O port resources?
>
> Hm, you are right, i have not given any domains any other privileges then
> the default setup. Can you give me a hint where i can configure that?

Ah, but I see actually you don't want a physical device backing up this
network -- you just want point-to-point virtual network comms between the
two domUs?

The only way to grant any iomem to a domU in current tools is by assigning
access to a PCI device.

What I can do is add a Xen boot parameter 'permissive_grant' to allow any
domU to map foreign pages via grant tables. This boot parameter can then be
removed when we fix the TLB-flushing races in the grant table code.

Are you running from xen-unstable, or a different codebase?

 -- Keir