Re: [Xen-devel] Dynamic Memory Management and Migration (3.0.4-0)

To: Timo Benk <timo.benk@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Dynamic Memory Management and Migration (3.0.4-0)
From: Timo Benk <timo.benk@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 10:40:47 +0100
Cc: Xen devel list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 01:40:42 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Timo Benk wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 04:29:25PM +0100, Timo Benk wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> i noticed the following Problem:
>>>
>>> if i want to allow dynamic memory management of Linux-domains, i need to
>>> set the following kernel parameter. Otherwise it is not possible, to
>>> increase the memory of the domain above the initial assigned value:
>>>
>>> extra = "mem=10240M"
>> That should not be neccessary. We fixed the Hypervisor to implement the
>> neccessary magic so that XenD can utilize the 'maxmem' parameter in
>> guest config files correctly So for example
>>
>>   mem=500
>>   maxmem=800
>>
>> Will make the guest VM boot up with 500 MB of initial RAM. It will also
>> tell it to allocate page tables entries big enough to address 800 MB of
>> RAM. So after boot up, you will be able to balloon the guest upto this
>> maxmimum of 800 MB simply using 'xm mem-set 800'.
> A quick test with 3.0.4-0 does not work on my side. I will try it again
> tomorrow with 3.0.4-1. I dunno when the patch was applied to the xen source.

Setting only the maxmem Parameter does not work in 3.0.4-1 too.

Conclusion: Currently Dynamic Memory Management and Migration does not
work together in the current stable tree.

Anybody who knows when this feature will be available to the masses?
3.0.5 i assume?

greetings,
-timo
--