Re: [Xen-devel] How to allocate contiguous RAM in pv guests

To: Guy Zana <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] How to allocate contiguous RAM in pv guests
From: Uli <um@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:31:40 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:31:50 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue 30.01.07 05:28, Guy Zana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> An idea is to scan the bios e820 table and split a large block to reserve
> those 64MB.
> Than, you can mark this block as E820_GART or something and add your own
> allocator next to the xen-heap allocator.
> To map it contigiously, you can use the fixmap from the I/O remapping area.
> Is this what you need?

Yeah, I would have needed something along these lines.
However, I just found out that there's an adaptive mechanism due to
which I don't need to implement anything at all.

Xen will (unless dom0_mem is provided) keep 1/16th of the memory free
and in the heap. For a >4GB system, this is at least 256mb, leaving
enough memory for the aperture. This mechanism is also the reason why I
experienced a case where there wasn't enough memory...that was on a
system with 1GB memory, 1/16th being 64MB. Since the GART is usually
deactivated on systems with less than 4GB RAM, there is no problem at
all.

I'm relieved :)
Thanks for your help,

Uli