[Xen-devel] Building and Configuring with a Patch

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Building and Configuring with a Patch
From: Luke <secureboot@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:16:30 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:16:07 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm trying to build Xen with an external patch applied.  I've put this patch in patches/linux-2.6.18/, and added its name to the series file.

However, when I run the make linux-2.6-xen-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig (not at my Xen terminal now, but whatever commands are in the bottom of README in xen-unstable), I go through the menuconfig, and everything seems fine.  However, when I run the make linux-2.6-xen-build, and config file that gets put into dist/ isn't the what I menuconfiged - it seems to be the .config before the menuconfig.  The kernel that gets installed, in the next step, obviously is missing the menuconfig changes as well.

So my question - how am I supposed to patch and config a custom Xen kernel?  Are the steps in the bottom of the README actually correct?

Also - I used to just cd to linux-2.6.18, and make menuconfig from there, and do the normal Xen installation.  Why doesn't that work now?

What is the recommended way to patch AND config the xen-unstable branch nowadays?  I haven't built a custom Xen kernel in 2-3 months now, and it seems things have changed...