Re: [Xen-devel] Xend loads slowly

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xend loads slowly
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:38:25 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, David Pilger <pilger.david@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:38:11 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 25/1/07 14:13, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there any work scheduled on the Xen roadmap yet to remove the need to
> use netloop driver in Dom0 ? It would be very desirable to eliminate the
> complicated peth0/eth0/vif0 interface renaming/duplication for Dom0 so that
> the regular OS distro provided networking scripts 'just work' with Xen. So
> if people wanted a bridged setup they can simply create their regular
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 (or equivalant) - so XenD would
> only need to worry about the vif-* scripts, and we can kill off network-*
> scripts.

You can set things up today without the loopback. But if domU<->dom0 traffic
is allowed then you can end up with all domU tx slots tied up in dom0 socket
buffers for unbounded time. If domU<->dom0 traffic is disallowed, or just
not done, then the loopback serves no other purpose.

 -- Keir