[Xen-devel] Re: [patch 2/5] libelf: use for x86 dom0 builder.

On Jan 24, 2007, at 9:41, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:

  Hi,

-obj-y += elf.o
-obj-$(CONFIG_COMPAT) += elf32.o
+#obj-y += elf.o
+#obj-$(CONFIG_COMPAT) += elf32.o

Can we just zap those lines?

Once ia64 is tested and ppc dom0 builder is ported over to libelf we can.

Can you explain what ia64 or ppc have to do with lines that are commented
out?

+    /* compatibility check */
+    compatible = 0;
+    compat32   = 0;
+    machine = elf_uval(&elf, elf.ehdr, e_machine);
+    switch (CONFIG_PAGING_LEVELS) {

Can we make this a compile time check instead of run-time?

CONFIG_PAGING_LEVELS is a constant, thus it actually is compile-time,
the gcc optimizer should throw away the unused code paths.  I prefer
this way over cluttering the source with #ifdefs.

I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting we replace ifdefs with run
time checks because the compiler will deal with it?

Also, it
would seem easier to do all the checks first and then do a printk
specifying which kernel we found and, if it's not compatible with the
hypervisor, why not.

I intentionally print kernel and xen type unconditionally.  I think it
is useful to have that information in the log, even if the combination
is not incompatible.

I didn't suggest printing nothing when the combination is compatible.