[Xen-devel] RE: [XENOPROFILE] and "xm vcpu-pin" doesn't work as expected

To: "Ray Bryant" <raybry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: [XENOPROFILE] and "xm vcpu-pin" doesn't work as expected
From: "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:17:39 -0600
Cc: Thomas Friebel <thomas.friebel@xxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Woller, Thomas" <thomas.woller@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:17:38 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ray,

That is normal behavior. In Xen when --separate=cpu is used, samples are
separated by "virtual" cpu. That means, CPU0 samples will have all
samples for vcpu=0 for dom0 and vcpu=0 for the guest. This seems to be
more usefull to users profiling user and kernel code which may not be
aware of Xen scheduling decisions which may move vcpus around. It would
be nice to add the capability of separating samples by physical cpu in
Xen, but I think no one is working on this. Patches would be greatly
appreciated, though. :)

Regards

Renato