Re: [Xen-devel] Live migration: "netbuf race" messages can cause signifi

To: John Byrne <john.l.byrne@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Live migration: "netbuf race" messages can cause significant perfomance impact
From: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:07:56 +0000
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 05:07:39 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Someone found that doing a live migration of a domain that had ballooned
>down took far longer to migrate. (Ballooned down from 3000M to 1000M, 31
>seconds vs 89 seconds, real time) I came up with a complex theory and
>asked him to look in the xend.log to confirm it. He didn't, but he
>mentioned there was a lot of "netbuf race" messages in the log. In this
>particular case, live migration generated approximately 512000 "netbuf
>race" messages. Deleting the DPRINTF reduced the migration time to 11
>seconds.
>
>While it is simple enough to submit a patch to delete this DPRINTF,
>perhaps something more subtle is called for such as modifying the
>migrate/save command paths to accept a debug argument and passing to
>xc_save?

There's nothing much we can do here - there's no easy way for us to
distinguish between pages which are 'ballooned out' and pages which
are temporarily being used for network buffers. I've checked in a fix
to unstable (cset 13185:62ef527eb19f) which simply removes this particular
debug output.

thanks for spotting this!

cheers,

S.