[Xen-devel] Driver domain questions

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Driver domain questions
From: "Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh" <aravindh.puthiyaparambil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:37:26 -0500
Cc: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, Ryan <hap9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:37:40 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What is a driver domain? Is it an unprivileged DomU that has access to a PCI
device as described in user doc section 5.3? In that case can the device it is
using be virtualized for other DomUs? (I guess not but I just want to be sure
there is no magic that can make this happen. ☺)

I understand that HVM Domains cannot have direct access to a PCI device. What
needs to be done to make this happen? From a prior discussion with Mats, I
guess there needs to be a way to inform the HVM domain of the existence of that
PCI device. Does a PCI frontend need to be written for the HVM domain and OS
drivers need to be made "virtualization aware"? Or is it enough to just have a
PCI frontend and off the shelf drivers can be used?

Thanks,
Aravindh Puthiyaparambil
Xen Development Team
Unisys, Tredyffrin PA