[Xen-devel] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Schedule for Xen 3.0.4

To: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Schedule for Xen 3.0.4
From: Sean Dague <japh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:31:14 -0500
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:31:28 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 10:28:43AM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> Folks,
>
> The xen-unstable tree has seen significant progress since 3.0.3 was forked,
> particularly in HVM cleanup and bug fixing. SMP and ACPI HVM guests now work
> reliably, as does the Windows Vista installer. Many of these improvements
> are the result of large patches and interface cleanups that are unsuitable
> for backporting to 3.0.3. Since we'd like to make these improvements
> available to Xen users as soon as possible, now seems a good time to call a
> feature freeze in preparation for 3.0.4.

What about the possibility of reving the kernel to something more modern?
For instance, the nforce5 drivers for Linux didn't make it until 2.6.17, and
didn't get truly stable until 2.6.18.

I think it would be advantageous if xen-unstable was using a kernel closer
to those being shipped in modern distros, so that xen-unstable testing was
more applicable to current distros, and visa versa.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
IBM Linux Technology Center                     email: japh@xxxxxxxxxx