[Xen-devel] Getting xen to recognise large disks

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Getting xen to recognise large disks
From: Robin Bowes <robin-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:40:33 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:45:47 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I've got a large ext3 file system, created on the Dom0 host, that I'd
like to make available to a domU guest.

The filesystem is built like this:

 - 8x500GB SATA drives combined as /dev/md2 (RAID6)
 - /dev/md2 designated an LVM PV
 - Volume Group vg_media created using /dev/md2
 - Logical Volume lv_media created in vg_media
 - ext3 filesystem created on lv_media

I'm using the following disk config in my xen config file:

disk = [ 'phy:vg_host/lv_slim,xvda,w',
         'phy:vg_media/lv_media,xvdb,w', ]

However, /dev/xvdb is not appearing as the correct size in the DomU guest:

>From /proc/partitions:

major minor  #blocks  name
 202    16  782819328 xvdb

When I look at the same partition in the host, I see this:
major minor  #blocks  name
   9     2 2930303616 md2

There appears to be a problem in passing the size of the device to the
DomU guest.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,

R.