Re: [Xen-devel] approach for heavily hw-oriented values in smbios for gu

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] approach for heavily hw-oriented values in smbios for guests
From: Alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:32:36 +0000
Cc: aball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:27:19 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:54:36 -0500
"Andrew D. Ball" <aball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> However, even though the SMBIOS 2.4 standard specifies lots of places
> where a value of 'unknown' is syntactically valid, the comformance
> guidelines require a ton of very hardware oriented things to be fully
> specified.

Xen is just very hot-pluggable. I guess you either lie or change it to
match the hardware each time. Which is more correct unfortunately appears
to depend upon the desired answer but I'd favour the real hardware - for
diagnostics.

Alan