Re: [Xen-devel] Does Xen in 64 bit mode support shadow page table mode?

To: Randy Thelen <rthelen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Does Xen in 64 bit mode support shadow page table mode?
From: Randy Thelen <rthelen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:20:50 -0800
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:21:12 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Randy Thelen wrote:

Folks --

I'm trying to experiment with running a 64 bit paravirtualized guest in shadow page table mode, and I'm getting an error while pinning the page table.

The call to pin the pages is in xc_linux_build.c:

static int setup_guest(int xc_handle, ...

#if defined(__x86_64__)
    /*
* Pin down l4tab addr as page dir page - causes hypervisor to provide
     * correct protection for the page
     */
    if ( pin_table(xc_handle, MMUEXT_PIN_L4_TABLE,
                   xen_cr3_to_pfn(ctxt->ctrlreg[3]), dom) )
        goto error_out;
#endif

Incidentally, if I comment out this line from my start.S file:

// .ascii ",FEATURES=!writable_page_tables|! auto_translated_physmap"

Then the pin_table() call, above, works just fine and the guest domain is created.

Does that help narrow down the problem?

-- Randy