[Xen-devel] linux/i386: variable hypervisor hole not really variable?

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] linux/i386: variable hypervisor hole not really variable?
From: "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:02:54 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 04:02:07 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anything said in the past about the hypervisor address space hole
being variable led me to believe this address range is really variable,
meaning that namely under a 64-bit hv I could shrink the hole to just
the space needed for the m2p table. Have I mis-interpreted what I
heard, or is there really a problem here? In any case, the kernel has
a number of references to HYPERVISOR_VIRT_START, which
continues to be provided in the public headers.

In any case, I will want to fix this - my understanding is that I'd have
to introduce a new guest-specified feature identification (in the .note
section) telling the hv that it is okay to provide a non-default
HYPERVISOR_VIRT_START and, implicitly, a non-default m2p table
base.

Thanks, Jan