[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] "xs_read(): uuid get error" of qemu-dm

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] "xs_read(): uuid get error" of qemu-dm
From: Masami Watanabe <masami.watanabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:13:43 +0900
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>, masami.watanabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Zheng, Jeff" <jeff.zheng@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 22:15:14 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Keir,

My explanation was insufficient.

"xs_read(): uuid get error" happens when uuid can't read from xenstore
in xenstore_read_vncpasswd@tools/ioemu/xenstore.c.

c/s 12187 evaded this problem when the guest rebooted in a lot of
environments. As for my environment, the problem was corrected by this
correction.

However, Afterwards, following problem keeps happening.
I think that it is a problem.

[Xen-devel] VMX status report 12254:f8ffeb540ec1
  http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-11/msg00288.html
[Xen-devel] VMX status report 12217:20204db0891b
  http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-11/msg00183.html
>  IA32/PAE/IA32E: Windows and Linux VMX domains may fail to be
> created, the qemu-dm process is <defunct>, and the qemu log says
> "xs_read(): uuid get error."

I examined it.
As a result, In the environment that allocated two or more CPU in
Dom0, this problem was able to be caused.
The result of the confirmation is as follows.
- uuid cannot be read with xenstore_read_vncpasswd() in qemu-dm.
- uuid can often be read by changing the order of vm.initDomain()
  and vm.storeVmDetails() in create()@XendDomainInfo.py.
- And, when the read timing is delayed in qemu-dm, It was possible
  to always read.

>From the above, I thought that this problem was a problem of the timing
of writing and reading to xenstore from another process.

> Is the passwd getting written after qemu
> is started and hence racing the xs_read() in xenstored?

Yes, maybe. I understand the order of processing xend as follows.
Is it my misunderstanding ?

  create()@XendDomainInfo.py+135
      start()
          _initDomain()