Re: [Xen-devel] Task Switching and Xen-SVM

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Task Switching and Xen-SVM
From: "Vivek Mohan" <vivek.mt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:37:41 +0530
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 02:08:29 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
True, not really many OSes, atleast the ones that matter, use task
switching, but I was just wondering how well Xen w/ HVM would scale as
a full architectural simulator - apparently not.

Any idea why SVM (or VMX) have no support for non-intrusive stepwise
execution of guest VMs?

-Vivek

On 10/27/06, Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

AMD and Intel are doing the same thing here.

Do you actually know of any (32-bit) OS that uses task switching? In my
experience, it's horribly slow (because it generally saves/restores more
of the context than is necessary). Of course, in 64-bit mode it's not
even allowed, all task-management features have been removed... I'm
saying 32-bit OS, since there's probably some 16-bit OS's out there that
do use task-switching, but those OS's are not able to run on current Xen
anyways, since Xen in it's current form is very poor at supporting
segments with base != 0 in protected mode. So far I've only seen a few
rare reports of anyone actually wishing to run a 16-bit OS...

--
Mats

> Thanks,
> Vivek