[Xen-devel] Linux Traffic Shaping broken in 3.0.3rc1 ?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Linux Traffic Shaping broken in 3.0.3rc1 ?
From: "Timo Benk" <Timo.Benk@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 21:21:15 +0200
Delivery-date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 12:22:09 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

with Xen 3.0.2 i used tc to limit the outgoing traffic rate and it
worked very well and accurate with the HTB class:

Limit: 1mbit / actual rate: 116.2KB/s (given by scp)

Now i looked at 3.0.3rc1 and noticed that traffic shaping using the same
setup as before does not work as accurate as before (same hardware):

Limit: 1mbit / actual rate: 449.0KB/s (given by scp)

Interstingly shaping of the incoming transfer rate at the vif*.*
interfaces works correct.

The problem is reproducible on my side and for me it seems to be a
problem with the new Xen-kernel.

Here is a stripped down version of my tc setup for you to verify the
problem:

----<snip>----
tc qdisc add dev peth0 root handle 1:0 htb
tc class add dev peth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:1 htb rate 1mbit
tc qdisc add dev peth0 parent 1:1 handle 11: prio
tc filter add dev peth0 parent 1:0 protocol ip prio 1 u32 match ip src \
  172.17.0.100/32 flowid 1:1

172.17.0.100/32 is the IP of my Domain-0.

Greetings,
-timo
--
Timo Benk - B1 Systems GmbH (http://www.b1-systems.de)