Re: [Xen-devel] PV drivers for HVM guests

To: Ky Srinivasan <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] PV drivers for HVM guests
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:21:27 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 08:22:04 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 16:31 -0400, Ky Srinivasan wrote:
> 2)  Introduce  a compatibility component that bridges the gap between
> the current PV code and a given Linux target and leave much of the PV
> driver  code untouched.
>
> I have implemented both these schemes for the sles9 kernel

FWIW I have a half complete implementation (compile tested only) of such
a scheme which I've attached, perhaps you can crib something useful from
it ;-).

Basically it adds a compat-include directory to the end of the include
search path which contains compatibility versions of headers which may
not present in older kernels and adds compat.h which defines other
missing bits where necessary.

It covers most of the issues compiling against a RHEL4 (2.6.9) or SLES9
(2.6.5) kernel, although compatibility shims for
schedule_timeout_interruptible() and nonseekable_open() are still
missing and the versions used for triggering compatibility code are
certainly totally wrong (just right for RHEL4 and SLES9 though ;-)).

I'm fairly unhappy about the number of ifdef's in xenbus_probe.c. I
reckon some function reordering could coalesce a lot of them. Perhaps
they are candidates for splitting into a separate file.

This work will also be useful for the fully PV vendor kernel ports which
is why I'm interested.

Ian.