RE: [Xen-devel] Testing status of HVM (Intel VT) on 64bit XENunstable c/

To: "Steven Hand" <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Testing status of HVM (Intel VT) on 64bit XENunstable c/s 11616
From: "Li, Xin B" <xin.b.li@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:33:01 +0800
Cc: Xen Devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 02:33:46 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Hmm.
>
>So this seems to be a compiler/linker issue - any chance you can post
>a URL for the xen-syms for a 'broken' case?
>
>(i.e. a non-debug build built using gcc 4.0.0 or 4.1.0 or similar)

The gcc bug happnes in long_mode_do_msr_read, Xiaohui told me the regs
value (eax = 0x00101901, edx = 0x20100800) long_mode_do_msr_write was
trying to wirte to EFER seems like the result from cpuid instruction, so
I suspect after long_mode_do_msr_read, eax and edx are not correctly
updated.

And after checking the assembly code, it shows that,
long_mode_do_msr_read stores the result of EFER in ecx, but it doesn't
use it to update guest regs.

Now, how can we fix it?

Code rearrangement may fix it, but we don't know when it will come back
again :-(

-Xin