Re:[Xen-devel] PATCH (ACM): keep binary stream aligned

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:[Xen-devel] PATCH (ACM): keep binary stream aligned
From: Reiner Sailer <sailer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 22:37:59 -0400
Cc: Tristan Gingold <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 19:38:31 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 17:02:54 +0200
> From: Tristan Gingold <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [Xen-devel] PATCH (ACM): keep binary stream aligned
> To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Keir Fraser
>    <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,
>
> I am currently porting ACM to xen/ia64.

Great news Tristan!  We do not have ia64 systems available for testing but we are very interested in how your ACM port is going.

> Because ia64 can't handle unaligned accesses, the binary policy fileshould be
> aligned.  This patch fixes this issue.
> (There is the same issue within xen/acm for dumping feature.  A patch will
> follow).

Thanks. Please submit the patch for creating the dump in the ACM (if you have one) as well.

> Tested on xen/ia64.

I tried the tools/security patch on my laptop and it works fine on my x86 Xen.

Please make sure the 'alignment-hole' in the policy reference is filled deterministically (e.g., with \'0'). The same source policy should always yield the same binary policy.

Thanks
Reiner