[Xen-devel] Printing a helloworld message on the screen

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Printing a helloworld message on the screen
From: "frittitta1@xxxxxxxxxxx" <frittitta1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 11:00:49 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
Delivery-date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 03:01:29 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
I would write a simple program for Xen which print I simple
message
on the screen. I wrote an assembler procedure to print an
helloworld message:

    .text
    .globl _start
_start:
    cld

#
from include/asm-xeno/hypervisor.h

   movl $2,%eax
#__HYPERVISOR_console_write (include/asm-xeno/hypervisor-
ifs/hypervisor-
if.h)
   movl $hello_message,%ebx # arg1 = buffer
virtual address
   movl $hello_message_len,%ecx # arg2 = buffer length
   int $0x82

# from include/asm-xeno/hypervisor.h

   movl $8,%eax #
__HYPERVISOR_sched_op
   movl $1,%ebx # SCHEDOP_exit
   int $0x82

hang:
   jmp hang # shouldn't get here

hello_message: .ascii "This is
the hello world program\n"
   hello_message_len = . - hello_message

The Xen loader also wants a 12-byte header on the image file. So I
wrote a little assembler module (xenoguestheader.s) to handle that:

   .text
   .globl _start
_start:
   .ascii "XenoGues" #
read_kernel_header (tools/xc/lib/xc_linux_build.c)
   .long _start # -
the kernel's load address

The final image has to consist of the 12-
bytes object code from xenoguestheader.s followed the object code from
helloworld.s. Here is my makefile to accomplish that:

helloworld.gz:
helloworld.s xenoguestheader.raw
   as -o helloworld.o -a=helloworld.l
helloworld.s
   ld -Ttext 0x100000 -o helloworld.elf helloworld.o

objcopy -O binary -S -g helloworld.elf helloworld.raw
   cat
xenoguestheader.raw helloworld.raw | gzip > helloworld.gz

xenoguestheader.raw: xenoguestheader.s
   as -o xenoguestheader.o
xenoguestheader.s
   ld -Ttext 0x100000 -o xenoguestheader
xenoguestheader.o
   objcopy -O binary -S -g xenoguestheader
xenoguestheader.raw

This makefile produce a helloworld.elf file. The
problem is to write a config
file which run this program. I would call
th command:

xm create -c <config_file>

and to see the message on the
screen. I wrote this option in the config file:

kernel = "helloworld.
elf"
memory = 32
name = "HelloWorld"
on_crash = 'destroy'

but when I
run this command, I read this message on the screen;

Error: (22,
'Invalid argument')

HELP ME, PLEASE!