Re: [Xen-devel] Getting a console on the Intel mac / ioremap

To: Marco Gerards <mgerards@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Getting a console on the Intel mac / ioremap
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 16:44:53 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 08:53:37 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 13/8/06 4:47 pm, "Marco Gerards" <mgerards@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Currently booting is done from EFI in graphics mode.  The chipset is
> not running in a VGA compatible mode so I can not switch back to text
> mode using the code in xen/drivers/char/console.c:init_vga.  I think
> this can be solved by switching back to VGA mode by programming some
> registers on the card.

Do you definitely need to poke some of the mmio registers to do this, or
might it be possible via the I/O ports?

> The problem I ran into is that only the first 4 MB (see
> IOREMAP_MBYTES) is usable when using ioremap().  For example, the
> videocard I am using does memory mapped IO at 0x90380000, thus above
> this 4MB.  Changing IOREMAP_MBYTES just like that isn't possible
> either, it seems.

There isn't a proper ioremap() any more, because it wasn't being used for
x86.

> What would be the right way to change the way ioremap will work, or is
> there an alternative way I can use to get access to this IO memory?

For now you could add some fixmap entries and use those to map the vga
registers. Alternatively, since you're only doing this at start of day, you
could use some lowmem virtual address to map the registers just for long
enough to reset to vga mode, and then throw away those mappings.

 -- Keir