RE: [Xen-devel] X11 on domU

To: "Julian Davison" <julian-xen_devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] X11 on domU
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 00:34:57 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:35:23 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> What we'd like to do is run several independant X11's on a
> single CPU box. Using on-board (AGP) graphics, and additional
> (PCI) graphics cards, and various USB controllers for the
> keyboard/mice combos.
> The aim is to have three 'consoles', each with a browser
> running to provide access to our library catalogue. With Xen
> we should be able to isolate each console in its own dom,
> ensuring that one user can't so easily ruin others functionality.
>
> I'm running Debian 3.1 sarge/stable as dom0.
> I've got Xen 3.0.2 stable sources and built them with to
> include the pciback module. Using pciback I can happily have
> various devices show up in domU (ethernet, USB controller and
> graphics) with things like 'lspci'. The obvious stuff just
> plain works - I can use the ethernet card instead of the
> virtual ethernet, find USB devices.
> I 'upgraded' domU to debian unstable, to get a more recent
> Xorg setup, but I still get stuck.
>
> Using "X -novtswitch -sharevts vt1" I ended up being told:
>
> -------------- copy of end of X output starts --------------
> (EE) I810(0): Cannot map SYS BIOS
>
> Fatal server error:
> xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap framebuffer
> (0x000a0000,0x10000) (Bad address)
> --------------  copy of end of X output ends  --------------
>
> At this point I'm out of ideas :)
>
> Anyone have any pointers or ideas?

As well as mapping the linear framebuffer, this particular X driver
wants to map the VGA memory area at 0xa0000.

As an experiment, trying hacking in a call to the following in
setupDevice in pciif.py:

 xc.domain_iomem_permission(dom = fe_domid,
                    first_pfn = 0xA0000>>PAGE_SHIFT,
                    nr_pfns = 0x10000>>PAGE_SHIFT,
                    allow_access = True)

You may also need to map the VGA BIOS, in which case use nr_pfns =
0x27FFF>>PAGE_SHIFT

Please let me know if this works.

Best,
Ian