Re: [Xen-devel] SMP on the MacBook

To: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] SMP on the MacBook
From: Marco Gerards <mgerards@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:25:11 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marco Gerards <mgerards@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 01:19:50 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > Marco,
>> > Have you tried -unstable? Some potentially relevant files have been
>> > updated.
>>
>> Yes, unstable has the same problem.  Would you encourage development
>> in unstable or testing?
>
> I'd go for -unstable. In reality, the stability is usually rather good.

Sure.

>> > Also, exactly which version of Linux boots OK? Does 2.6.16 e.g. from
> the
>> > DemoCD?
>>
>> I have not tested the DemoCD because it still contains an unpatched
>> GRUB.  Because of that it doesn't work with the Intel Mac.
>>
>> But I have tried linux 2.6.16 (self compiled), which works perfectly.
>
> I might be worth trying the native kernel from the demo cd just to check
> it's not a kernel config issue, but I admit it's a bit of a long shot.

The problem is in Xen itself, if that is what you mean.  I was a bit
tired yesterday evening and for some reason I was thinking you meant a
normal linux kernel. :)

> Also, it might be good to test a similarly configed native 2.6.15/14/12
> to see if any of them fail in the same way as Xen -- that would give us
> a big clue.

I have been trying this, back to Linux 2.6.8.  I will play a bit more
with this, although it really looks like this being an ACPI related
issue, for some reason ACPI is being able to wakeup the second core
properly.

--
Marco