Re: [Xen-devel] blocking Xen 3.X production use: soft lockup bugs

To: Harry Butterworth <harry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] blocking Xen 3.X production use: soft lockup bugs
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 14:45:22 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steve Traugott <stevegt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 06:45:53 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/8/06 12:59 pm, "Harry Butterworth"
<harry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Another data point: Yesterday I was working with an unstable changeset
> from the morning (I think about halfway through the qemu patches) and
> running HVM xm-test to try to debug the create-concurrent failures.
> qemu_dm was taking 100% of one core and I got about 6 soft lockups in
> dom0 and 2 dom0 hangs.
>
> I'm not sure exactly why HVM testing is all over the floor for me, maybe
> I picked a bad changeset or perhaps the recent ubuntu updates have
> broken something.
>
> It's possible that there are still some lurking soft lockup issues
> anyway.

Well, I believe the issues are sorted out for paravirtualised guests at
least. Maybe there are lurkers for HVM guests -- if so, and they're of the
scale of hangs and softlockups, we'd really like detailed info so we could
try to repro. Some HVM instability is also doubtless due to the current rate
of churn in the unstable tree, which will be carrying on for at least
another week (while more pv driver and shadow mode patches are applied).

 -- Keir