[Xen-devel] RE: how to submit patches for new tools/ioemu?

To: "Alex Williamson" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: how to submit patches for new tools/ioemu?
From: "Christian Limpach" <Christian.Limpach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:09:26 -0700
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:11:54 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: Alex Williamson [mailto:alex.williamson@xxxxxx]
>
>    Sorry if I missed the instructions on the mailing list; how do you
> want patches submitted for files under tools/ioemu now that
> we have the
> qemu patch stack?  For example, do you have scripts to automatically
> update the patches files or do you want to see patches that
> update both
> the code and the patch file at the same time?  Thanks,

I haven't posted instructions yet.  Patches that update the code are
sufficient.  It is helpful if enough information is included to indicate
whether this should be a new patch or if it should be merged with an
existing patch.  Also, please try to match coding/whitespace style to
the surrounding code.

The switch to quilt and keeping the patches checked into the repository
was a bit of a last minute decision but I think it has the advantage of
keeping everything in sync and giving good transparency of the process.
Checking a new change in is not too hard:
- recreate the quilt .pc files by unapplying all the patches in reverse
order using plain patch and then doing quilt push -a
- move to the patch in the queue you want to change
- apply the new patch
- refresh the patch in the queue
- quilt push all patches
- hg ci

These instructions are more for reference, as I said above, patches to
update the code are sufficient and I'll keep the patches in sync.

If you're looking at restoring the ia64 support, you might find the two
ia64 patches in the initial patchqueue helpful:
http://xenbits.xensource.com/chris/xs-tools-ioemu.pq.hg?f=bdda8c0dc7c0;f
ile=qemu-ia64
http://xenbits.xensource.com/chris/xs-tools-ioemu.pq.hg?f=dd0975ce6974;f
ile=qemu-dm-ia64
I was trying to keep the ia64 support working but the changes from qemu
0.7 to 0.8 were so significant that it was only practical to move a
minimal set of changes forward.

    Christian