Re: [Xen-devel] Xen and SCSI

To: Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen and SCSI
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:38:49 -0500
Cc: Randy Thelen <rthelen@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:39:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Jeff,

Jeff Garzik wrote:
FWIW, I'm about to complete a domU scsi driver for Xen (initiator, aka front-end). Additionally, I'm writing "the other side", the associated target (tunnel, aka back-end) for dom0-style kernels.

Neat! Is it a standard XenBus device? Does it use the existing blkfront/blkback ring queue? Do you have a sneak peak of the code you could possible point us to?

REgards,

Anthony Liguori

I was planning on sending it to linux-scsi for review this week, then figure out the best path to get it upstream.

The basic message protocol draws heavily on native SCSI RPC model, and by that, I mean SAM and "SMP-ish". This allows communication with any number of SCSI targets/LUNs/etc. between any domU or dom0.

Reading your email earlier today, I would recommend against using the SCSI generic driver, unless you're doing something strange like passing everything through userspace. Just put SCSI commands on the request queue...

    Jeff