Re: [Xen-devel] Measuring migration downtime

To: "Jacob Gorm Hansen" <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Measuring migration downtime
From: "Arun Babu" <arunbabu.n@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:47:21 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:47:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jacob,
 Thanks for replying.
 I did read your paper, which gives the results in detail .
 Infact I need to do some tests exactly like the ones in your paper..(but not in such detail)
 The method discussed estimates downtime with the idea of writable working set & information on
 number of pages dirtied and hence evaluating the count of dirty pages to be transfered
 during the final stop-copy phase.
 I am quite new to xen and am not sure how much effort need to be put in to
 get information on shadow page table, dirty page count etc to repeat the tests
 you have performed ... Please let me know if we have more detailed information
 on the method of measuring this!

 I am currently trying to estimate is based on a simple socket application running on
 the guest domain, which does an infinite connect()-close() to a service running on original host. When it migrates
 to the destination, it wont be able to access the service.(i hav my n/w that way) I am using the time of last successful
 connect() call and first error in connect() to estimate downtime.(approximately)
 This gives finer values than the ones you suggested - tcpdump with floodping
  But I have a problem automating in my method: If migration happens exactly after connect() call and
  gettimeofday() of a successful/failed connect, then no longer the last succesful connect/first failed connect
  logic holds. (But always i can manually calculate with the dumps of timestamps)

 It would be of great help if you can suggest a better method!

Sorry for a long mail!
Arun