Re: [Xen-devel] Anybody got a tool to peer into a guest domain?

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Anybody got a tool to peer into a guest domain?
From: Randy Thelen <rthelen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 11:34:58 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 11:35:24 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:

The gdb debugger stub has been updated to work with HVM guests. See some docs under tools/debugger/gdb.

After reading the README in that directory and following its directions, I'm still not successful at getting gdbserver to run.

Here is what I did:

$ ./gdbbuild
$ cp gdb-6.2.1-linux-i386-xen/gdb/gdbserver/gdbserver /usr/bin/

(email I've read since that operation indicate I should rename gdbserver to gdbserver-xen. And the README states that the file will already be called gdbserver-xen, which it isn't.)

$ xm list
Name                              ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State  Time(s)
Domain-0                           0     1677     2 r-----   721.9
Linux-hvm                         10      256     1 -b----    25.0
$ gdbserver 127.0.0.1:9999 --attach 10
Cannot attach to process 10: Operation not permitted (1)
$

Hmm.

$ whoami
root
$

Some documentation indicates that I need to compile the guest domain kernel with:

> Build your kernel with debug.  I use the flags
>   "verbose=y domu_debug=y debug=y".  although I dont know if these
>   are all required.

But, I'm trying to debug a HVM domain with a FreeBSD, which leaves me with what options? And, I'm debugging an arbitrary piece of code in that domain ... btxldr? ficl? Don't know. That's part of why I need to peer into the domain.

-- Randy