Re: [Xen-devel] A few outstanding xenstore/hotplug issues...

To: Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] A few outstanding xenstore/hotplug issues...
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:57:31 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 03:57:50 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:02:55AM -0400, Matt Ayres wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I am still noticing a few issues related to xenstore and hotplug.
>
> 1) xenstored will periodically die.  I do have xenstore tracing enabled,
> but not much is shown.  A transaction is running one second and then
> nothing (no "FATAL ERROR" or anything). This does not happen very
> frequently, but does happen now and then. As is known, once xenstored
> dies the only way to get it running again is with a reboot. A bad effect
> lies in the fact that domains can't be shutdown properly without
> xenstored running!
>
> 2) I get the old "Cannot connect VBD" on boot-up while running
> xendomains start, I'd assume due to xenstore getting bogged down. It's
> completely random as to which domains it will do it to.  I've worked
> around this by having xendomains run from init.d and then also re-run it
> from rc.local to start all the domains that didn't start the first time.
>  Even doing this causes some domains to not start properly sometimes
> (it seems based on how many failed to start the first time).
>
> I remember reading that xenstore is getting an overhaul in the near
> future and want to know if these are "known issues" and if I should
> bother submitting bug reports or if I should just sit tight and watch
> the lists.

No, there's no major effort being put into xenstore at the moment.
We're certainly interested in fixing the bugs there, but your ones have
been very hard to track down!  If you can get a core dump, then I'll
certainly have a look for you, but without that, your crash bug is so
intermittent that it's been impossible to find.

The xendomains one ought to be easier to work on, so I'll get someone to
have a look at that for you.

Cheers,

Ewan.