[Xen-devel] Possible bug in 3.0.2 - "Manager is watching"

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Possible bug in 3.0.2 - "Manager is watching"
From: "McFadden, Gordon" <gordon_mcfadden@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:58:08 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 05:47:14 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I call this one the “Manager is watching” bug since it *only* happens during demonstrations.

Really.  I am not kidding.  Caused me some, er,  awkward moments not once, but twice.

Actually, the reason may be more prosaic.  Here is the situation.

I am using FC4 on an EM64T host with the Xen mods – VT enabled.

I have two VMs.  VM1 is Win XP (32 bit), VM2 is RHEL4U1 (32 bits) booting to run level 3.

In most case this works fine.  However, if I run a vnc server in the FC4 host so I can dempo the system,

 then as soon as I start VM2, the host immediately crashes and reboots.

I am running the stock x11vnc server.  I am guessing that this is related to memory, so for the record, here is how memory is setup.

Physical host has 2 Gig.

            Kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=1024M

            Dom0-min-mem = 196

VM1 memory

            Memory = 512

VM2 memory

            Memory = 1024

When both start normally (that is, when vnc server is not running), the memory in dom0 goes down to about 290M.

I am going to try and narrow things down more, but I am wondering if any one else has seen this behavior?

Gord

--
Gordon McFadden
System Architect