RE: [Xen-devel] Fwd: BUG - make uninstall deletes my config files

To: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Fwd: BUG - make uninstall deletes my config files
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 11:36:30 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 May 2006 02:36:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Whilst I completely agree with the above, I still think that the CORRECT
solution would be to have a "uninstall script" that is either created by
the makefile when the dist is created, or created "at runtime" when the
install.sh is run.

The main reason this is the "best" approach is that files sometimes move
or disappear in new versions, and to correctly uninstall such files, we
need to know where they went when they were installed - particularly
typical example would be if someone is installing a 64-bit Xen on top of
a 32-bit version [or vice versa] - many of the files are now in both
/usr/lib and /usr/lib64 [and others similar to it] - and only path-order
will give one priority over the other.

So, the uninstall should REMOVE the exact files that it created -
nothing more and nothing less.

I also have separate build and test machine, so I have to keep two
copies of the source on the two machines [yes, there are ways to share
the files across multiple machines, but that's not really the issue].

--
Mats