[Xen-devel] possible pciback security issue

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] possible pciback security issue
From: "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 14:57:34 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 May 2006 05:56:56 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Having looked more closely into what would be needed to enable MSI support I
stumbled across a simple question: If a
domU is granted access to an MSI-capable device, it could maliciously or
erroneously enable MSI on that device and
program an arbitrary vector to be delivered, or even force the message address
and/or value to something that might make
the system misbehave/crash.
It would seem to me that filtering only a few header fields is insufficient
from a security point of view, not only
from the perspective of MSI. While this may severely limit functionality, I
think by default only read access must be
granted to any fields/bits of unknown meaning (namely everything outside the
header).

Jan