[Xen-devel] possible to give/switch direct graphics hw access to doms?

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] possible to give/switch direct graphics hw access to doms?
From: "Jean Blignaut" <jean@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 12:20:55 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 May 2006 03:18:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I hope this is the right place to be posting this question.

I was wondering about the possibility of giving full access to graphics hw to
domU perhaps especially when intel VT or AMD pacifica is available?

I have been reading every thing I can find on the subject as it would be most
use full for my personal desktop system (and I'm sure I'm not alone ... )

To be able to share or in some way switch which OS has access to your graphics
hardware (amongst other such as sound etc.)

I realize that this is only realy use full in desktop/workstation situations
but I have been pondering the subject for some years.

One problem I guess would be the state/mode of the graphics hardware in
different doms - whitch is probably why they could not share it at the same
time - but perhaps switching is more feasible. I seem to remember that there
was an INT 10 function in vga (pre svga) that could store the state of all the
registers etc. on the card. Combined with some sort of frame buffer (that only
gets used when graphics operation is suspended ex. A nother dom has the graphhw
at the moment) you could perhaps store the mode, state and graphichs ram of
each dom and be able to restore each in turn?

Forgive my ignorance but the last time I seriously spent time with lowlevel hw
programming was on 486 hardware :)

Regards
Jean Blignaut