Re: [Xen-devel] Is Xen affected by this x86 hardware security hole?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Is Xen affected by this x86 hardware security hole?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 14:10:21 +0100
Cc: Dave Feustel <dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 May 2006 06:13:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Is Xen affected by this newly reported x86 hardware security hole?

It's not so much x86's fault (does anyone ever expect to say that?!) as a
software problem.  It's not really a new problem, I've heard of it grounched
about before.  Hopefully OpenBSD folks might lend some muscle and help get
this fixed.

X servers for various historic reasons have been given huge amounts of
privilege to access hardware directly in unpleasant ways.  Since they can do
this, they can in principle go and drive (pretty much) any hardware in your
system (if they wanted to!) and use it for whatever they want.  They can also
trivially disable interrupts and hang your system.  Yuk.

A better solution would be to have a kernel module that provides services to
the X server, but this would require more code per platform, which is partly
why it wasn't done like this...  *sigh*

The consequences for Xen:
* X running in dom0 can, in principle, subvert any domain you're running, if X
itself gets subverted.  A bug in X in dom0 could hang the machine in
principle.
* X in a domU can't get to the really hardware and so it can't subvert
anything outside the domain.  It might be able to subvert the contents of the
domain, depending on your setup.
* Xvnc, and friends, don't need hardware access at all - they can be run
unprivileged and eliminate this risk of this particular class of attack.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!