Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Licensing conflict with OpenAFS kernel module

On 26 Apr 2006, at 16:51, Sidney Cammeresi wrote:

I'd suggest bringing this up within the OpenAFS community. If they are
making direct use of Xen-specific functions, then they can potentially
find a work around.

If we've made it so that a non-GPL symbol depends on one of our GPL'd
symbols, then that may be a problem on our part.  I don't know whether
this is an acceptable thing to do.  Sounds like an issue that needs to
be discussed on LKML.

These functions do not appear in the OpenAFS source code, so the latter
possibility seems more likely.  I made some cursory examinations of the
source trees, but not knowing a lot about either, I didn't find anything.
If there's something I can do to help (like sending over my compiled
kernel module), let me know.

Those symbols are used by some extremely primitive and ubiquitous kernel macros (e.g., local_irq_enable(), local_irq_restore(), pagetable macros, page_to_phys(), ...).

I think the obvious course of action is to make those two EXPORT_SYMBOL() and add a comment to explain why. There's not exactly a lot of GPL'ed goodness hidden behind them!

 -- Keir