[Xen-devel] Re: Full virtualization with Pacifica crashes

To: Alexander Osthof <aosthof@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Full virtualization with Pacifica crashes
From: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Apr 2006 16:21:40 +0200
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:22:03 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Alexander Osthof <aosthof@xxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm currently trying to get Xen working on an Pacifica system. But each time
> try to start a fully virtualized guest domain, the system hangs just after
> the start with a black screen (paravirtualization works, btw).
>
> I've also tried to monitor the system with the serial console, but I get
> nearly no useful info. If I don't specify the memory used by dom0 (with boot
> option "dom0_mem=xxx"), I can see the following error:
>
>   Unable to open display.

This means your $DISPLAY is wrong and it can't open the window
and it probably goes downwards after that. The problem is that xend
not xm tries to open the window and it not always gets all the environment
variables needed for it. There were some fixes in this area but
maybe they were not enough.

One workaround is to restart xend on your current terminal to fix
up its environment.

Of course even with that it shouldn't hang, but error handling paths
tend to be often undertested.

-Andi